The Forest Service’s message says Helen is mostly rock camping. If we’re up to it when get there, I say we push on and find a high camp in the snow.
Man, I don’t know how German can afford to eat, looking at the grip o’dough he’s got wrapped up in climbing gear. I gotta separate this stuff into piles of what I think we need, what we might really want, and what we just don’t want to carry. It’s going to take a day just to inventory and check it all out.
And the pack itself, it’s like some 007 sh*t. Pockets, stash spots, zippers out the ass – most water tight, and it’s DEEP too.
The further down I get, the more things I find myself checking off the list of crap we needed (or could have made do without); camp boots, tent booties, ultra lightweight camp seat, stove, stove gas, pots, pans, glasses, goggles, tiny aluminum collapsible table, first aid kit, altimeter/barometer/whatever the F’else watch, bad ass tent, mittens, gloves, you name it.
That’s really just the half of it. I was surprised the damn thing had an end. But it did. I only knew it, and knew the pack was uniquely German’s, when fishing somewhere between the floating frame, rip-stop nylon, and rubbery bottom layer, I came up with a very small Vietnamese coin.
I’ll leave that one in the pile of things that stay home. Thanks for the hook up, Kevin.
I assume we should be able to get them from 5th Season too, worst case?
I don’t see why not. And we’re stopping there anyway.
The REI Sacramento store off Exposition has the Summit permits for $15 each. They told me that they expire though within 3 days of the date of purchase. So, if I get a chance to go back on Thursday I can pick them up. I assume we should be able to get them from 5th Season too, worst case?
I talked to Jacques — yes, Jacques, like Cousteau — at the Fifth Season this morning. The word is that, as of now, the snow melt off is six weeks ahead of schedule. Good for us, crappy for anyone with plans for later in the summer. Conditions are going to get bad fast and the season’s going to be way short.
The good folks up there also echoed the weather report posted below: clear sailing with slight but typical possibility of afternoon T-storm build up at higher elevations.
Brian: They did have your size in the plastic boot. And German came through — like a frickin’ CHAMP. This kid don’t F’around. I’ll post some pics later.
The Memorial weekend proved to be quite nice. No injuries were reported and the weather was good. For this week, expect the weather to continue to be mostly clear. Tuesday and Wednesday should bring sunny and clear skies with highs in the 70s and lows in the upper 30’s. Look for some clouds coming in Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with a slight chance of thunderstorms all three days. Winds should be 10-15mph.
SOUTH CENTRAL SISKIYOU COUNTY-
251 AM PDT TUE MAY 29 2007
.TODAY…SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S. EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH
SHIFTING TO THE SOUTH 5 TO 10 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.
.TONIGHT…WARMER…CLEAR. LOWS IN THE LOWER 50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS
UP TO 5 MPH SHIFTING TO THE EAST AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.WEDNESDAY…SUNNY. HIGHS 71 TO 77. EAST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH
SHIFTING TO THE SOUTH IN THE AFTERNOON.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT…MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 50S.
.THURSDAY…SUNNY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY.
HIGHS 74 TO 80.
.FRIDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE 50S. HIGHS IN THE 70S.
.SATURDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 55 TO 65. HIGHS IN THE 70S.
.SUNDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE 50S. HIGHS 65 TO 75.
.MONDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE 50S. HIGHS IN THE 60S.
TEMPERATURE WIND DIR WIND SPEED (MPH)
6000 FEET 72 WEST 5 TO 8 MPH.
10000 FEET 56 SOUTHWEST UP TO 5 MPH.
14000 FEET 39 SOUTHWEST 5 TO 9 MPH.
SNOW LEVEL FORECAST
TODAY… 13000 FEET
TONIGHT… 12700 FEET
WEDNESDAY… 12800 FEET
WEDNESDAY NIGHT… 12600 FEET
THURSDAY… 12800 FEET
Climbing Shasta said some REIs issued summit passes, not the one by my house. Not to worry, self issue at the mountain should be easy enough.
Since German and Ryan bailed, the only other guys outside of the Kaiser group are you and me. I talked to Tim (Kaiser dude) yesterday and he says they are actually looking at driving up Wednesday afternoon after they finish work.
I can’t do that. The only option for me is to leave very early Friday morning, I’m thinking 4am. If you’re down with the Friday/Saturday plan, I’ll have all the gear we’ll need; tent, stove, cookwear, all that.
Is there anybody still going on Friday/Saturday? It sounds like a majority of the folks are planning on Thursday/Friday. I like that idea and may be able to swing it but the original plan is still the best option.
Alot of my gear is coming in and I am ready to hike/climb. To bad there hasn’t been much snow this year.
That’s a real bummer. I could have gotten Thursday off a month ago, but not now. Not a chance, we’re just way too close. I’d also have to make kid arrangements for an extra day.